The National Eligibility cum Entrance Test or NEET Exam for admissions into medical and dental courses all over India. It is the most competitive exam for medical students all over the country.
NEET exam is conducted in the month of July every year. But the application forms are out two months before.
The article deals with five important steps that one need to know about NEET exam.
Five important NEET points:
Candidates willing to appear for NEET examare required to follow five simple steps. These five steps start from fulfilling the eligibility requirements and ends on the NEET counseling. The most important five things you need to know about are:
- NEET eligibility
- NEET application process.
- NEET exam pattern
- NEET results.
- NEET counseling.
Let us discuss all these one by one:
Candidate willing to appear in NEET exam must ensure that he has fulfilled the eligibility requirements for the same. A brief introduction to eligibility criteria for NEET exam is given below:
- Candidate must have passed his class 12th with Physics, Chemistry, Biology/Biotechnology and English as subjects.
- 50% marks in each subject is compulsory for general category and 40% for SC/ST.
- Candidate must be minimum 17 years and maximum 25 years.
- Some seats are also reserved for candidates from certain categories. Refer the official website to know properly about reservation of seats and requirements.
NEET application process
NEET aspirant, after meeting the eligibility requirements, must fill the application form. It will register him as an official candidate for NEET exam. NEET application process is of four steps.
- Registration: register yourself on the official website as a new user. Enter your date of birth, valid email address and valid phone number and click on SUBMIT after verifying the same.
Now you are officially registered. Let us move to the next step.
- Filling up the form: candidate is now required to fill up the application form for NEET exam.
The NEET application form requires your personal and educational details like Candidate’s Name, Nationality, Gender and Category, Father’s/Mother’s/ Guardian’s Educational Qualifications and Occupations, Total Family Income
Click on SUBMIT when you are done with this.
- Uploading the images: this is the third step where the candidate is required to upload a scanned copy of his passport size photograph, signature, left hand thumb impression OR right hand index finger impression and self declaration depending upon the state to which you belong.
- Payment of application fee: NEET exam application fee 1400/- for general candidates and 750/- for SC/ST/PH candidates. You can pay the fee either Online (via Debit/ Credit Card) or Offline (via E-Challanin the CBSE Bank Account maintained by HDFC Bank, ICICI Bank, Syndicate Bank or State Bank OfIndia).
NEET exam pattern
After the application n process is over, now is the time to prepare for NEET exam. But for that, you need to know the exam pattern and syllabus for the NEETexam. A brief introduction to exam pattern and syllabus for NEET exam is given below:
- NEET exam is of three hours from 10.00 am to 1.00 pm.
- It is carried out in pen paper mode with the language of test booklet as per candidate’s preference.
- A total of 180 objective type questions with 45 questions from each subject come in the NEET question paper.
- Every correct answer mean plus four and every wrong question means minus one.
- Zero marks are awarded for unattempted questions.
Post NEET exam, results are out in a month or two. NEET results are followed by the NEET merit list. Merit list forms the basis for cut off which is decided by the institutes individually accepting NEET score. Candidates can check their results by following below mentioned steps:
- Visit the official website.
- Type your roll number and DOB in results tab.
- Click on SUBMIT to see your result.
- AfterNEET results are out, merit list will be prepared for proceeding towards counseling and allotment process.
The last step to NEET exam is the counseling process. Candidates meeting cut off and securing good merit score are invited for NEET counseling. The process of seat allotment, document verification and academic fee payment takes place in the NEET counseling. NEET counseling has four important steps:
- Online registration for attending the NEET counseling.
- Filling up the choice of colleges and locking your choice.
- Results will be announced by the concerned authorities and seats will be allotted.
Reporting at the allotted college to confirm your seat.