From heating to lighting your home, energy costs can be among your highest expenses if you do not make an effort to be energy efficient. The introduction of different types of energy saving technologies has enabled homeowners to enjoy long term savings and participate in environment conservation. There are a number of methods worth considering if your goals are to save energy and lower your energy costs.
Top Energy Saving Technologies
- An energy monitor is one of the simple but effective solutions that you can use to find out which home appliances consume the highest amount of energy and the costs involved. They are also used to calculate the savings that are made when adjustments take place.
- More homes have the opportunity to save energy and money when they are able to have access to detailed information regarding their energy consumption. Monitors are a worthwhile investment that will make it easier for you to identify how and where energy can be saved. They allow you to view your energy usage at short intervals.
- Monitors are attached to the power cables in your homes from where wireless signals are transmitted to show you how much power is being used. Installing energy monitors in homes can reduce energy use by more than 10%.
- Solar panels are famed for not only being a practical way to save energy but also being among the most effective ways of reducing pollution. The expenses incurred during installation may initially appear to be inhibiting, but the money and energy they help you save in the long run make it worth every cent.
- Solar water heaters provide a good way to reduce energy expenses. Technological developments have made it possible to increase the efficiency levels of water heaters that are powered by the sun. Wind generators are another worthwhile addition to the home and can be used to generate a significant amount of power for the home and reduce dependency on electricity.
- If your HVAC system is identified as one of the main consumers of energy, it is probably time to replace it with an energy efficient system. Older HVAC systems usually require almost 50% more energy than newer models in order for them to run. Many homes spend a lot on heating and cooling and an old HVAC system will cost you much more.
A lot of homes use much more energy than they actually need to as a result of energy wastage that is caused by lack of proper insulation. Energy can be stopped from escaping by ensuring that cracks and crevices are properly sealed. You can carry out sealing for your home or hire a professional to do it for you.
Energy Efficient Appliances
Energy saving appliances have become popular over the years because they use much less energy than older appliances. Refrigerators and washing machines are designed to conserve energy. An energy efficient washing machine is able to wash more within a shorter period of time. Shorter drying times also result in saving half the amount of energy that is used by energy guzzling models. Use energy wisely and keep your energy costs low.
Jennifer Walker is a financial analyst. She enjoys spending time with her children, exercising and writing. Read about commercial energy rates here.